Apple Inc.’s iPhone 6 will reportedly enter production in July. And well before the production kicks off, Taiwanese Economic Daily has learned that Foxconn Technology Co Ltd is hiring 100,000 new employees in mainland China to assemble the iPhone 6. Foxconn is expected to be responsible for 70% of the next-gen iPhone units while the remaining 30% will be produced by another Apple partner Pegatron Corporation.
iPhone 6 production drives biggest job creation boom in China’s recent memory
Pegatron Corporation is also increasing its workforce in China by 30% to support the huge anticipated demand for the next iPhone. Last year, Foxconn Technology Co Ltd had hired 90,000 for the iPhone 5S manufacturing. Sources said that Pegatron and Foxconn’s combined hiring efforts for the iPhone 6 production would drive the biggest job creation boom in China’s recent memory.
Besides recruiting new people, Foxconn Technology Co Ltd plans to expand two production lines. The timing of the recruitment drive is right for the widely expected iPhone 6 schedule. Production of the device is rumored to ramp up in July for a September launch. Most people have focused their attention on the 4.7-inch version, which is expected to amount for bulk of the sale. Foxconn will reportedly be the sole supplier of the 5.5-inch model.
iPhone 6 expected to launch in September
While Foxconn Technology Co Ltd is hiring aggressively in China, the company is laying off employees in India. Just a few days after offering a voluntary retirement scheme (VRS), the Taiwanese company announced that it will cut jobs in Indian coming weeks. Notably, that has nothing to do with the iPhone 6. Foxconn’s Indian unit is dependent on business from Nokia Corporation’s Chennai plant. Nokia is cutting production at the plant due to a tax dispute.
The iPhone 6 is expected to have a tougher-than-concrete sapphire display, iOS 8 operating system, TouchID fingerprint sensor, NFC integration, an upgraded A8 processor, a 13MP main camera with optical image stabilization and a higher price tag.
Apple Inc. shares inched up 0.43% to $91.30 in pre-market trading Monday.