The best selling phone in the world in the first quarter of 2018 was… the Apple iPhone X.
For the first time since the third quarter of 2013, quarterly smartphone shipments in China totaled less than 100 million units leading global smartphone shipments to decline 2.9% in the first quarter. Overall, 334.3 million handsets were delivered from January through March, down from the 344.4 million shipped during the same period last year. Samsung remained on top with a total of 78.2 million units in transit during the period, down 2.4% from the 80.1 million shipped last year. Because the overall number of phones delivered was lower, Sammy actually saw an increase in market share from 23.3% …
Samsung is once again number one in the Indian flagship smartphone segment. Despite recently losing its Indian crown to Xiaomi, Samsung is still the flagship king in the Asian market, accounting for a whopping 50% of all smartphone sales in the country during Q1 2018.
Earlier this month, Samsung gave a preview of its first quarter earnings and said that it would report record operating profits. And sure enough, the company announced on Thursday morning (thanks to the time difference, it is the next day in South Korea) that it achieved a fourth consecutive quarter of record operating profit. Leading the way for the company was sales of memory chips.
During the first quarter, Samsung reported net profit of 11.69 trillion South Korean won, equivalent to $10.8 billion USD at current exchange rates. That happens to be a healthy 52% gain from the net profit …
The average selling price of smartphones grew significantly in Q1 2018. Despite a number of reports claiming that demand for premium smartphones was on the decline, a new report by German research group Gfk reveals a significant increase in average selling prices (ASPs) across the globe.
The latest report from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP) indicates that in the U.S. the Apple iPhone X is struggling to capture sales, while the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus have been picking up momentum. In the states, those three models made up 60% of iPhone sales during the calendar first quarter of 2018. The iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus were responsible for 23% and 21% of Q1 sales, respectively. The combined 44% share of the two models is up from the 41% they had together in Q4 2017. The iPhone X accounted for 16% of iPhone sales in this year’s first quarter, down from the 20% of sales …
Alphabet’s quarterly revenue and profits are up significantly versus last year. The parent company behind Google has a pretty solid track record when it comes to posting strong growth in each quarter, and Q1 2018 appears to have been no different, with the search engine company once again driving increases.
While there are reports that the initial S9 and S9+ orders are lower than those of their predecessors at about launch time, Samsung actually never said they will sell more. The 43 million sales target it had set for its newest flagships is a far cry from the 60 million that it forecast for the Galaxy S8 and S8+, so saying that the initial orders are 30% lower than last year’s high-ends, is like saying that everything goes according to Samsung’s plan.