It’s great to have a 4-wheel drive vehicle because they can go places that other cars can’t. That’s why I highly recommend using a 4×4 or all-wheel drive machine for a bug out vehicle. There are some things you can do to extend a vehicle’s capabilities even further:
1. All-terrain tires: This one is the first one I’d do to any bug out vehicle. I’ve seen firsthand the difference these can make in whether you get stuck or not (especially in snow). If there’s one thing on this list that I’d say is the most important, it’s this one. There are a lot of good tires out there, but BF Goodrich makes a legendary one called the “All Terrain TA KO”.
2. Winch: You can pull yourself out of almost anywhere with these. These come in a lot of flavors. You can get a really expensive vehicle-mounted one that will get you out of almost anywhere, but these cost several hundred dollars or more. On the cheap side, there are hand winches and come-along winches. These are manually powered and require a lot more time and effort to use.
3. Lift kits: Lifting a vehicle increases the clearance, allows you to put bigger tires on it, and just looks cool. On the downside, it raises the center of gravity and makes a vehicle more likely to roll.
4. Roof Rack: these extend your ability to carry cargo, and keep dirty things, like firewood, from getting your car dirty.
5. Brush Guard/Push Bar/Bull Bar: These are basically metal frames that go on the front of your vehicle and protect it from damage. They are great for getting through heavy brush or pushing another vehicle.
6. Locking differentials: These basically allow your wheels to have different amounts of power and prevent you from getting stuck. They’re best installed by a qualified profesional.
7. Skid plates: most 4×4’s come with these. They’re protective metal plates that keep the important parts of the car from being banged up when driving off road. You can get even stronger ones if you’re planning to do any serious off road driving. Next to the all-terrain tires, this would be the most important modification, since mechanical problems in the middle of the forest are no fun.
If you’d like to learn more, and learn for free how to buy and outfit a proper bug out vehicle on a budget (under $2500), visit my blog on how to equip a bug out vehicle. Thanks for reading!
mi 6 price