Authorities release ironic last text message sent by electrocuted 14-year old

Last week we passed along the sad story about Madison Coe, the 14-year old girl who was electrocuted after bringing her cellphone into the bath with her. Yesterday, the Lovington Police released a text that was apparently sent just before Coe was shocked to death. The text, sent to a friend, contained a photo of an extension cord wrapped in a towel and read, “When you use and (SIC) extension cord so you can plug your phone in while you’re in the bath.”

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and the Lovington Police Department have determined that the phone itself never was submerged …


14 year old taking a bath is electrocuted by her cellphone

This past Sunday, 14-year old Madison Coe was soaking in a tub at her father’s home in Lovington, New Mexico when the unthinkable happened. She either plugged her phone into an outlet while submerged in the bath, or she went to hold her phone which was already plugged in. Either way, the combination of electricity and water resulted in the electrocution death of Coe, who had just graduated 8th grade. For the record, her family believes that the second of the two theories is what occured. That was apparently borne out by the burn mark found on the hand that would have grabbed the phone. …

Man greets the day by nearly getting electrocuted by a charging iPhone

32-year old Wiley Day considers himself lucky to be alive. On March 22nd, he had his iPhone plugged into an extension cord, something he did every night so that he could keep his phone in bed while it charged up for the next day. When he awoke the next morning, the dog tag he was wearing around his neck somehow got caught between the metal prongs on the charger and the extension cord. The resulting electric jolt knocked Day from his bed to the ground.

He remembers that his vision started to fade, and he felt as though he was looking through a peephole. He also could see only in black and …